Tuesday, December 16, 2014

My Christmas Countdown


1 Chron 29: 9 Then the people rejoiced, for that they offered willingly, because with perfect heart they offered willingly to the LORD: and David the king also rejoiced with great joy.

I don’t know if everyone looks at their calendars and counts down the days until the arrival of Christmas but the child in me still looks forward to the day. I don’t know why; I’m not expecting anything special but just the leading up to the day itself carries an aura of joy and happiness.

I had the audacity to go shopping Saturday kind of forgetting the hustle and bustle that people put into this season. I went early thinking it safe but boy was I wrong. I can see why people become humbug after experiencing the joyful blissful spiritual feelings of Advent to be tossed into the raging sea of people only to be spit out and tossed onto the shore.

The real reason I went shopping on Saturday was because they are calling for some wild and crazy weather this week. Saturday was a cloudy 55-degree day and felt downright warm so with teaching Adam to drive, I thought this would be a good day to venture out on the roads.

We did fine until he hit the traffic congestion. I don’t know about you when you first learned to drive but throwing obstacles like New York City traffic at you when you barely know the stop signs and red/yellow/green light signals; it proved not to be a good idea.

I picked up a few things as quickly as possible, left the store and got behind the wheel myself, meandered through even more congested traffic and brought us home safely. I couldn’t believe I pushed Adam into such crazy traffic. I know I know, he HAS to experience it but the nose-to-tail jamming of two lanes was too soon. All turned out okay because we made it to our safe haven where we could relax and enjoy the rest of the day.

Since we’re not rolling in the dough, our Christmas, just as Christmas’ past, are meager but joy-filled. THAT is what the season is all about to me, the JOY of the season. If I do decide to buy something I prefer to do it online, but there are some things you just can’t buy online. While people tried to rob me of my joy, I kept it intact and sit here today feeling good, not having overspent, enjoying the lights and pleasantness of an over commercialized season.

I woke yesterday morning to a blanket of white covering the lawn and walkway. I read the weather before bed and it said possible snow/sleet/rain but I was not expecting it to be a beautiful layer of the white stuff. It’s God’s gift to me. Thank you, Lord!

Yes, I see the Lord in everything and all my experiences are gifts from Him. Whether it is a trial or a blessing, I cradle my humbleness in my heart and allow Him to work through my daily living. This is the season of joy, this is the season of life. In nine more days it will all be over? Or will it? Not for me because I carry this season in my heart year round.
My gift to Him this season is the celebration of His life and power instilled in me!

Oh wait…it isn’t the ‘season’ that brings me joy it is God’s immense love for me! He fills me with the Holy Spirit and walks with me through dark tunnels, sunny days, gray skies and starlit nights. Nothing fake, mean or humbug about that. He is the joy that overflows my spirit daily. Praise be to God.

No comments: